Interferon experience

My experiences as a melanoma survivor

My Photo
Name:
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa

Monday, May 15, 2006

Week 5-6 - A new challenge, and a step forward

It looks like each week I get introduced to another new challenge... In week 5 I suddenly developed a rash on my arms, legs and back. Extremely uncomfortable, and itchy as all hell. The oncologist recommended a moisturising cream, but this did not help. I found I was scratching and causing more problems. Paid a visit to the GP as I could not immediately see the onco, and she prescribed Advantan cream, containing cortisone, as well as an antibiotic. Then saw the oncologist - He said this was a Good Sign, as it indicated that the interferon was having the right effect on my immune system. He prescribed two different meds for 10 days - Zyrtec and Aterax. Aterax is a tranquiliser, but is also used in urticaria and pruritis - So I take this at night! The rash has gone down and seems to be settling out. Still using a moisturiser morning and night - As a typical male this is something I have never done before. Maybe I will end up with a better complexion!

I have been reading other posts on the internet, some other blogs, and also had a look through the discussions on the MPIP bulletin board - www.mpip.org - An excellent resource. I suppose I knew this before, but it really put my "problem" in perspective - I am one of the lucky ones, in more ways than one... First and foremost, my melanoma was limited and it was possible to remove it by surgery. This does not mean I am in the clear, but at least I have a fighting chance. Second, I have access to the best medical assistance in the country. And last, but by no means least, I have the support of my wife, family and frinds.

I have been gradually settling into this new regime, but it keeps changing. The day after each Interferon injection is not good. My sleep during the night is disturbed, and I have been staying in bed for at least the following morning, feeling rather sorry for myself. When I do finally get up I feel weak, and feel mentally limited. It takes tremendous effort to achieve anything. I find difficulty in starting any task, and then have difficulty in following through.

By Week 6 I thought this had settled down. I was resigned, if that is the correct word, to having 3 "bad" days, and 4 "relatively good days" each week. However, the bad days have been improving and I have been able to make some progress on some tasks and small projects. Now I am setting my sights on 4 "good" days, and if any of the other days are reasonably good then I count it as a bonus.

I was so pleased to make some progress on a small project last week. As mentioned above, I have found it difficult to start anything. It has taken a large amount of mental effort to do the jobs which need to be done. The project I achieved was to build a small battery charger for my burglar alarm system. A few weeks back the old trickle charger which I used had packed up. It was nothing very special, but it did the job. I tried to buy a replacement, but the stores just did not have what I wanted. So I started with a bit of research on the internet. I found some application notes and some design notes. Now, I have a large workshop filled with proverbial "junk" boxes. To cut a long story short, I found all the components I needed, and managed to build the device, test it out, and even built it into a neat little case! From start to finish was only 3 days! Now, that's what I call progress!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home