Interferon experience

My experiences as a melanoma survivor

My Photo
Name:
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa

Saturday, January 13, 2007

Week 42 - Cape Town wedding

Posting this from my sister’s house in Cape Town. We have just attended my niece’s wedding – This is the second wedding of this generation. The bride looked absolutely fabulous, and it was a nice friendly occasion.

Last week I thought I had just tried to do too much. But it turned out that I had a bit of a cold, and for 2 days I had a sniffly nose and did not feel at all good. At the same time, I lost a filling from one of my back teeth, and have a very sensitive tooth – And my regular dentist is away until next week! Having been on interferon for so long I relate everything about the way I feel to the regular injections, and probably miss the cues to the other minor ills one goes through.

I had a careful plan about my injections. I timed it to do one injection on Thursday evening, and then fly to Cape Town on Friday morning. The flight should have been easy, but we left rather late for the airport, and then as luck would have it there was a quite severe traffic jam due to earlier accidents. We only just made the flight, and had to park in the expensive short term parking area. The end result was that I got really stressed and tired. Then I decided to see a local dentist about my sensitive tooth, and this just made everything worse.

I have not had digestive problems before, but the last week my stomach has not been stable. Generally I feel OK when eating, and it is very rare for me to feel sick. But I have been having stomach cramps and some diarrhoea. Hope that it goes away soon!

I know I’ve said it before: While on interferon, everything is more complicated. You have to plan your life carefully, and then make sure that you allow for unexpected problems. It’s not so easy, but the priority must be my own health, and to keep on with the regime while removing the stresses of living. Everyone needs support from friends and family, and I’m so lucky that I have this.

Cape Town is a lovely city, and most of my family live here. This evening the rest of the family have gone out to eat fish and chips and watch the sunset at Fish Hoek – Something I have always enjoyed. But I need to do another injection, and decided that I just need to take it easy and have a relaxing evening. However much I would like to believe that I have this interferon under control, it still makes me feel lousy for 24 hours, sometimes less, sometimes more, so here we go again, and hopefully I can then enjoy the rest of the weekend.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well written article.

11:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home