Interferon experience

My experiences as a melanoma survivor

My Photo
Name:
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa

Friday, October 06, 2006

Week 26 - Half way there!

I have not posted for the last couple of weeks for a couple of reasons. For one, I got a small consulting job with a very tight deadline, and I had to dedicate myself to the work. It's not yet finished, and for the next couple of weeks I will have to concentrate all my effort on this job. One thinks that one has all the time in the world, but working at home has some disadvantages... I need to do shopping, deal with the pool, look after my vege garden, walk the dogs.... Not to mention three days a week when I don't feel quite up to scratch due to the interferon!

Also, I took off five days to visit my parents. My Dad is 91, still fit and well, but getting older and slower. This trip involved my first 2 hour flight since starting interferon, so it was a bit of an experiment. How would the airline handle my medication kit? I am not prepared to put it in my checked luggage, as the stuff is damn expensive. So I called the airline and they said I should get a letter from my doctor. I got a letter from the oncologist, and then discovered at the airport that they were not even interested in it, and I sailed through the checkpoints without any hassle. So much for increased security!

And this Sunday we are holding a Spring Party for all our friends. We last did this about 20 years back, and it seemed a good time to do it again. Our garden now has a lot of shade, and the weather has warmed up. The pool is still rather cold, as it is shaded by a large tree, our very first Christmas tree! It was a mistake to plant it in the garden, and now that it is there I am not allowed to take it out! The party will be on Sunday morning, with champagne and orange juice, bacon, eggs, sausages, wheaties, yoghurt, fruit salad..... I'm really looking forward to this one.

And the interferon just goes on. Its getting rather boring, but I suppose that's exactly what one hopes for. Later this month I need to go for an xray and some scans, and see the oncologist again.

So, ciao until next week.

2 Comments:

Blogger Miss Melanoma said...

Peter,
Sounds like things are winding down, and I'm quite happy for you. Congrats on being half way thru!
The spring party sounds fun- I wish I could make it. Rest assured I'll be having wheaties and yogurt and fruit, too, in honor of you.

It's been a crazy couple of months getting back into the working routine, but it seems I've found a balance, now, and I'm checking in on you regularly. I'm glad to hear your taking care and in the swing of things, too.

Stay well and keep in touch! Tell everyone at the party hello!

3:19 AM  
Blogger Holly said...

Keep on going Peter ... halfway done! Enjoy your Spring Party!!

Your post to Kim was beautiful, I hope she had a chance to hear it.

Keep Living STRONG Peter...it is the best revenge we have against Melanoma!

6:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home