Interferon experience

My experiences as a melanoma survivor

My Photo
Name:
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

For Kim-from-Iowa

I started reading your blog a few weeks back, and have only just started to get to know you. When your latest update appeared on Holly’s blog a few days back I wanted to write to you. You are constantly in my mind, and I seem to think of you a few times each day. I don’t know if that qualifies as prayer, but I sure hope so.

I battled trying to decide to write to you. You don’t know me from a bar of soap, and I am only now learning about you. But having decided to write, here goes…

Kim, what can I say? You have been so positive over the last years. The position you are in now has not been for want of trying – You really worked hard at doing the right things, learning about this mel guy, and doing everything to keep him at bay.

I am pleased that you have so many friends and family to support you. I wish them strength to provide support all the way.

We know not where we are going, or when. We know only that we have to move on in the circle of life. My wish is that your future is filled with hope, as you have lived your life.

Alfred, Lord Tennyson wrote these words in The Passing of Arthur.
Right at the end, Arthur says:


“But now farewell. I am going a long way
With these thou seëst--if indeed I go--
(For all my mind is clouded with a doubt)
To the island-valley of Avilion;
Where falls not hail, or rain, or any snow,
Nor ever wind blows loudly; but it lies
Deep-meadow'd, happy, fair with orchard-lawns
And bowery hollows crown'd with summer sea,
Where I will heal me of my grievous wound."

So said he, and the barge with oar and sail
Moved from the brink, like some full-breasted swan
That, fluting a wild carol ere her death,
Ruffles her pure cold plume, and takes the flood
With swarthy webs. Long stood Sir Bedivere
Revolving many memories, till the hull
Look'd one black dot against the verge of dawn,
And on the mere the wailing died away.


I wish you all love and peace on your journey.

Peter

Postscript:
On October 9, 2006 Kim-from-Iowa passed on, in the company of Mary and Charlie. The number of postings on http://www.mpip.org/ has almost reached 100.

I never did speak to Kim. But I am richer for having known her story, and hope that I can be as positive and brave as she has been.

RIP

2 Comments:

Blogger Miss Melanoma said...

Peter,
Beautifully put. Thanks for this post.

-Lori

11:46 PM  
Blogger Holly said...

Peter .... the tears flow again ... Good Healthy Tears. I pray we are all able to be as positive and brave when our times come ... as someday they will as they do for everybody...

9:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home