Interferon experience

My experiences as a melanoma survivor

My Photo
Name:
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa

Thursday, April 19, 2007

Week 55 – Cancer Support Groups

This week I went to a meeting of the local cancer support group. For one reason or another I have not been able to attend for about six months. People there are a mixture of different types of cancer, and also people at very different stages in their journey. Previously I was very focused on melanoma, and it was important to hear about other problems, and realize the wider world out there.

I found that I was in a very good mood, and tried to be helpful and supportive where I could. I’m sure this is because I am now feeling physically better after a few weeks off interferon, but also because I am mentally feeling much more positive, after my last negative scans. But the meeting was also a damper, reminding me that I am only in remission, and anything can still change.

After my lack of success (I won’t call it failure!) in trying to set up a support group focusing on melanoma / interferon patients, I realized I had lost some direction. I want to do something; play a useful role in some way.

Coincidentally a friend of mine told me a story about a youngster, probably aged about 10, getting severely sunburned through spending 4-5 hours out in the sun at a school swimming gala. No hat, no sunscreen. Apparently the school had insisted they sit out in the sun for the duration. I don’t know how much of the story was true – kids can also “improve” a story if it suits them . (What, me being cynical? Never!)

So I talked it over with another friend, this time a teacher at a school where they have a firm policy that all kids must wear a hat when in the sun – Even during 10 minute breaks.

I contacted a social worker at the local cancer association, and today went along to meet her and discuss some possibilities. Over a cup of coffee I learnt what they are trying to do, and also picked up a few useful contact names. It looks like there are not enough people getting involved in the issue of skin cancer in South Africa, and there are some serious misconceptions, so I think I have found a way in which I can play a part, and hopefully make a difference.

We have a first cut of a plan – I won’t detail it this week, but will talk about it in future blogs. Now to do some research…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home